Connect With Us

More on Ivy Hill

    s
Ivy Hill map 1966

Ivy Hill Map

   
 

The Real Estate Market

Albert and Lillian Drewes bought a 145 acre farm in 1948 that was later sold in 1969 to Meister/Neiberg which became Ivy Hill. The farm house and barn were on the east side of the road with 80 acres and 65 acres were across the street. At the time Windsor Drive was a gravel road and was called Buffalo Grove Road. Al Drewes raised corn and soybeans and also raised pigs and chickens - it was a typical farm of the times. In 1948 all surrounding property was still farm land and open space, and had originally been settled in the 1840's by German farmers. The farm to the South of the homestead was owned by August Milbratz, sold to the town, and became Lake Windsor. Many relatives in the area were also farmers, including a cousin - the William Stade family who owned the land where St. Edna's Catholic Church now stands. The Drewes' had three children and in the 1950's their sons entered their pigs in the 4-H Fair, which was held at the Arlington Heights Race Track every year, where they won many blue ribbons. Their oldest son was elected 4-H King in 1953. While the children were in high school - only one school for the area including Wheeling, Buffalo Grove, Arlington Heights, Mt. Prospect, Prospect Heights - all towns attended one school in Arlington Heights. Several Homecoming floats were made each year during the 50's at the farm, using their wagons and teenagers would spend a week there decorating them. In 1970 they built their home on the corner where the mailbox stood, at 1307 E. Crabtree Drive, and resided there till Al passed away in 1986 and Lillian in 2004. It was Neiberg that went on to build the majority of homes and give Ivy Hill its name. Neiberg loved trees and named his models after common varieties, the Elm, Sycamore, Willow, Linden, Spruce, Hickory, Chestnut and Birch. The artist renderings were done in the 60's by M. Ball. Neiberg made many changes to the models as he progressed through the project some significant and others subtle.